Broken Keel?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RobynD, Oct 24, 2013.

1. RobynD

RobynD Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    I have a phoenix, about 4 months old. I noticed her chest seemed very filled out. Upon palpating it, thinking it was her crop, it seems to be her keel. (I"m new at this so I may have terminology wrong). I can move her keel to the right, but not to the left. This led me to think that she broke it somehow, if that's possible. And one wing is drooping. They don't free range. She is sitting off to herself very quietly. Any thoughts? Will this heal on it's own or do I need to cull her? :(

2. bantambury

bantambury life does go on.

Sep 3, 2013
    North Carolina
    could you post a few photos so I could se this? it sounds like she may just be stressed out though.....

3. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Do you think it could be her clavicle bone. It looks like it does make a connection to her wing bone a bit there. It may have had bone come out of a socket or something

4. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    It is not an impacted crop...already been through that with another girl! I know the picture may look like that. But her crop is empty. It's definitely a bone issue. But I don't know what to do... Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    She is usually a sleek bird with no puffiness in her chest. She got knocked over when the other girls ran for scratch, and she could barely jump down from a little crate I put her on to take a picture. And she stood still for the picture and she normally wouldn't!!

6. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hmmm. Sure is an odd injury. looking at the skeletal picture and then feeling along that droopy wing...do you think you can pop anything back in place? Then you should think about immobilizing the wing for a while...wrapping the wing close to the body.... I think that would be the best you could do with that on your own.

If it's the wing...this looks like a helpful thread. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/303389/broken-wing

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It could be a tumor rather than an injury

8. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    It's definitely bone that is sticking out so I would rule out tumor. There is no swollen flesh, although the picture makes it look like that because the feathers are being pushed out. It's just the bone protruding. I will tape up her wing this morning and put her in a crate in the run. :(

9. Bogtown Chick

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    RobynD: do you have something other than tape? the tape might be hard on the birds feathers. Maybe a long stretchy gauze or some Vet Wrap to hitch up that wing. Poor girl.

10. RobynD

Jul 1, 2013
    Thanks for that idea! Yes, I do have athletic tape!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by