broken leg and broken wings ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by waltersbf, Jan 4, 2011.

1. waltersbf

waltersbf Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    does anyone have any tips for faster healing? also any ideas as to the approx. time for a complete heal? really appreciate any help or advice.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Broken leg and broken wings? Sounds awful - what happened? If this has all happened to one being, major league pain meds and a vet are it's best chance.
    JJ

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh dear- that sounds bad! You might try a search in the search bar while you are waiting for more responses. Sometimes if people haven't dealt with a problem they don't say anything on a thread (like me).

4. Ruthblough

Ruthblough New Egg

Jan 5, 2011
    Hi, My name is Ruth and I have a chicken that I thought had a broken leg and wing too! It's been a couple weeks since this started. I don't know what's the matter with her!
    But now she can't walk and is gettin thin. She still eats and I've separated her from the rest. Has anyone had this happen to one of their birds?

5. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    How old are these birds? If young, look up Marke's disease. If they are older and suddenly unable to stand/walk you can try vitamin B12 and vit. E in their food, sometimes leg paralysis in an older chicken can be caused by a vitamin deficiency, you can get more info by typing Marke's or vit. def. in the search engine, worth a try. At least separate them form the others, keep them in a warm area, place food/water close enough so they can feed.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hi, My name is Ruth and I have a chicken that I thought had a broken leg and wing too! It's been a couple weeks since this started. I don't know what's the matter with her!
    But now she can't walk and is gettin thin. She still eats and I've separated her from the rest. Has anyone had this happen to one of their birds?

Based on your description she is going to die without successful intervention. Given how far her illness has progressed her best chance is a vet. If not possible, you might try calling Peter Brown at First State Vet Supply (google and it will come up). He is a wealth of information and meds can be ordered from his site if needed. There is a small fee to consult with him via phone. If you haven't done so already, also start your own thread here on BYC re: your bird. It's an extremely serious situation and she does not have one minute to lose. Do give her 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins (without added iron) daily, administered gently with a dropper along her beak line, so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. The stuff tastes crappy so follow with a tasty treat if you can entice her to accept. This is NOT a cure - it will hopefully just buy her and you a bit of time while you try to sort this out for her.

JJ​

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    In humans a simple fracture will ordinarily heal in about 6 weeks. I have red on here this figure is 4 weeks for chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by