Broken Leg and Pasty Butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Espo1998, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Espo1998

Espo1998 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2014
    I just received 9 Chicks Wednesday and two of them have pasty butt. What is safest way to remove it without hurting the chick? Also one of those with Pasty Butt has a broken leg. Should she be euthanized or should I separate her? Should UI just wait to see if she makes it? She just is laying on the floor of the brooder and not able to move to the water or the food so I know she won't make it.
    anybody with any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I would gently soak it off: get lukewarm water in a bowl and try holding their bum in it until the crust softens, then very gently tease it off with a wet cottonball or something similar. Their skin is easily torn as chicks, so going slowly is important. There are a number of threads with recommended approaches, like this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/157787/what-is-the-best-treatment-for-pasty-butt.

Is the leg obviously broken or just swollen and suggestive of a break? Can you post a photo? With a leg injury, treating it immediately is key.

3. Espo1998

Espo1998 Just Hatched

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks for your suggestion. The pasty butt off 2 of them went fine, but the other one did not make it so no pictures.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

YVW. My condolences on your loss.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by