Broken Leg at hip

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mychik, May 11, 2008.

1. mychik

mychik New Egg

May 11, 2008
    Polk City, FL
    I am new to this forum and new to having chickens.
    I went out to see my chickens and found one of the hens just lying on the floor in the coop. She had her left leg sticking straight out from under her body. When I got close to her she tried to move but just flopped back down to the floor. Can someone please give me some suggestions on how to help her.
    Thanks

2. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    the hip out of the joint? it needs putting right and then to be immobilized which is very difficult at that location... I am unable to advise you further on details and if you can I would go to a vet.

3. jessica117

jessica117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    SE Tennessee
    I'm so sorry! Are you sure it's broken? Unfortunately, if it is (and I mean broken clean through) I don't think there is much of anything you can do. We just lost one of our month old chicks yesterday to almost the same thing. It had escaped the brooder pen and in the process of catching it, my hubby stepped on it's leg. It's leg was just dangling there, broken in the hip area. If it had broken further down, I would have tried to splint it. Believe me, if I thought there was anything I could have done for it, I would have.

I really hope that someone more experienced than myself knows of something to do for her.

If she's not in too much pain, I would make her as comfortable as possible till you hear from someone else.

Jess

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by