Broken Leg Care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Welshies, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    So I have nine 7 week old chicks. Mixed breed, about 6 to 8 pounds when mature.
    On a quick side note, I've already had an issue, with one chick freezing half a toe off- but she is almost completely healed and seems well. I let her heal on her own and she has no limp whatsoever. The chicks have integrated into my flock of 5 adults well (hen brooded though), the rooster is more focused on mating than killing chicks... They have been with the flock for about a month now. No fatalities. Avg temp here is 0 celsius to minus 10 celsius (it's a warm winter).
    They were switched to some grower, some mixed grains about 2 weeks ago. They have been growing well and are about a third of their full grown size.
    Today I walked in to find one chick hopping around n one leg. Upon further glance she'd broken it at her ankle joint or just above. No protruding bone or blood. No infection.
    I used a small, smooth piece of wood and medical tape to align and "splint" her leg. I then covered it with first aid wrap (cut it appropriately and used one metal clasp to keep it in place), the tan kind.
    Now she is separated, in a rabbit cage, about 8 square feet of space, out of sight of the other chickens but in the coop still. I put another, very small, picked-on but tame chick with her. He won't bother her, he's almost half her size. She has access to food and water, on fresh shavings, under a heat lamp. She was pecking at her food when I left and even standing on her leg. Is there anything else I should do for her?

2. azygous

azygous Flock Master

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Kudos to you for a very good job of splinting. I'm sure it's going to get the job done if the chick is already feeling comfortable using the leg.

I would remove the splint every other day and check for swelling, and making sure circulation is good. When you splint, it's a good idea to place something soft between the stick and the skin, then wrap securely but not too tightly. I love elastic vet wrap since it stays in place better than anything else.

Here's an old thread on the subject so you can see if there's anything you may have missed. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-treat-a-broken-leg.659231/

Welshies, coach723 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  3. Welshies

Welshies Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    A little update on her-
    She is doing very well:)
    She is walking on her leg consistently now, albeit limping still. She only tucks it when standing still and her circulation and toes are normal and healthy. She's even daring to hop around a bit and push her tiny buddy Tip out of the way.:love

azygous likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by