1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broken leg/foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken007, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicken007

Chicken007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    i have this chick who didnt seem to wan to stand i dipped its beak in the water so it has had a bit of a drink its only a day old :( i have seperated it from the others when i lift it it does wriggle and move its leg but one of its feet seems swollen what should i do?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I would give them sugar water according to the very stressed chick recipe here:

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

For the first 2 days add 3 tablespoons of table sugar to each quart of water for extra energy.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]IF THE BIRDS HAD A HARD TRIP:[/FONT] Instead of using the standard feed and water suggestions listed, try this: Put 6 more tablespoons of sugar in each gallon of water. Then mix some of this extra sweet water with some of your feed to make a soupy mix. Give your birds this special feed and water mix for 3 to 4 days to get them over the effects of shipping.

For a swollen foot, I'd watch and wait with a new chick.

If you need a foot website, here is a good one.
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Keep dipping its beak if possible every hour until able to eat and drink on its own.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  3. Chicken007

Chicken007 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2011
    thanks for the reply just noticed something its missing a toe could this be the problem?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I really don't know but people have chickens on BYC who just have one leg and hop around fine. He/she will hopefully find a way to get around.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by