broken leg healed but Guinea still will not put weight on it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Garin, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Garin

Garin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    loudoun co., va
    3 weeks ago my Guinea broke its leg. I took the bird to my Vet and she splinted the leg and wrapped it and part of the foot up. Per doctors orders I kept the bird confined in the 2' x 2' brooder for 3 weeks. Splint has been off for 3 days and the bird still will not put full weight on her leg and she has her toes curled under. Vet said the leg healed well but did not spend personal time with me due to a dog emergency.

Here are my concerns:

Is it normal for her to not walk on her leg yet? Also, are the curled toes normal? I realize that she just got her bandages off so I am wondering, does she still need another week or so to regain her footing? Is it possible the injury maimed the foot?

My bird is back in the coop with the others but she is partitioned off so she has no direct interaction with the other birds and her appeitite is fine. She can fly out if she wants too, but she doesn't seem inclined to want too.

This is my first bird injury so any experience anyone can offer will really help me understand

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm just guessing but could you do some physical therapy? soak in warm epsom salt water and then massage the leg, making sure to move her toes and legs in the normal range. hopefully it will do well.

3. Garin

Garin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    loudoun co., va
    rubbing the leg and foot probably wouldn't hurt so I will give that a try tonight. A little every day. Can you imagine holding a guinea bird in a tub of water to soak its foot? I'll need to wear a wet suit!.

Thanks for the idea.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    well I don't know how guineas are about baths but chickens seem to enjoy a good soak. so maybe it won't be too bad, just get the water ready before you put it in.

5. noblehillfarm

noblehillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Tyngsboro, Ma
    Hi I take in chickens that have broken legs that people dont want to spend the time to fix and from my experience that can be very normal.Even if it is completly healed she may always favor that leg or limp.Some go back to normal and others do not.I have a RIR hen that broke her leg at the joint and though it is completly healed she has limped ever since but she still is a happy healthy bird who runs around and scratches looking for bugs.Thank you for fixing your little one and best of luck

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I got a hen from the neighbor with a broken leg. I had her in a cage on my patio for 6 weeks . That was last year. She does walk with a limp but is doing well. Sometimes she stands with the leg held up. It just must ache a bit with so much running around every day. I did move my roosts to knee high so she's not jumping down hard, and my Jerseys are big and heavy and shouldn't be on a high roost. The one with the broken leg is a barred rock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by