broken leg healed without human intervention

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chesko, Dec 14, 2011.

1. chesko

chesko Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Somerset Co., NJ
    Hey all,

I am a relatively new hen owner, entering the second winter with our Rhode Island Reds (or what's left of them...only 2 remain of 6). One of them somehow broke her leg (her thigh, I believe) either last year or early this year. For days, she couldn't move, but gradually, she moved herself more and more until she could stand and ultimately walk and run again. Her leg healed crooked so her toes pointed inward, and we dubbed her our "Gimpy". I am still amazed that this came to pass....and I can only assume that it is somewhat common. Anyone else witness such a healing?

BTW, I am not sure if our dear Gimpy is still with us. We lost a hen to a predator last night (I left the run's door open ARRRRGH!!!) and it might have been her. Either way, I'm ticked off at myself.

Chesko

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Dark Mechanical Angel

Dark Mechanical Angel Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2011
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    I have a couple books that told me it can be normal. I have had a few hens break their toes and heal crooked and they have no problem walking.

P.S. Sorry for your loss of Gimpy. That is of course if it is her but sorry anyways.

3. chesko

chesko Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Somerset Co., NJ
    Thanks. Yep, looks like the Gimpster was somebody's late night snack. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by