1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken Leg? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sebloc, May 7, 2016.

1. sebloc

sebloc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    HELP!

Earlier today we picked up baby chicks at a small farm. We are completely new to this; no past experience what so ever. When we arrived home and set up the brooder for the chicks, we noticed one hobbling around oddly. We looked up what this could possibly be, and decided that it was possibly a broken leg.
    Instructions told us to splint the leg, separate it from the rest, etc. But some others told us not to splint the leg, and to keep them close to the rest.

So here are our questions:

-Should we splint the leg?

-Should we add another chick with the injured one to keep company?

-How do we know if the leg is broken?

Here is some more info on the injured chick:

-When the chick sits down, she sits down at an angle.

-When she walks, she kind of has her leg sticking outward. (Not very far, just kind of crooked.)

-The chick limps on the leg, trying to avoid stepping on it.

She has a hard time walking to get to food and water, so we decided to move it closer to the heat lamp to make sure she can reach it.

Thanks for any support, I hope the details above help!

Sincerely,
    New chicken owners.

Note: I accidentally posted this under the wrong forum category before, sorry!

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Without seeing it.. I'd just keep a eye on it.. chicks grow fast.. so likely it will either get better or worse fairly quickly. Is she still walking.. likely she will get better

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. It could possibly be a slipped tendon or a leg bone deformity. At the top of this page is a search box, and just enter "slipped tendon," and there will be many threads about it. Google "Poultry Pedia Podiatry" and you will get info on how to treat that. Unfortunately, it is not always successful. Provide a non-slip surface and give chick vitamins such as SaveAChick in case of a vitamin deficiency.

4. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Yes, she kind of was hopping with one foot. She seems as if she's walking on both legs today, or at least making an attempt.

5. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Thank you, I think that may be the cause. Thanks!

6. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Thank you!
    She seems to be putting a lot more weight on it today, and actually walking on the leg. We hope to put her together with the others soon depending on how she does. So far, it's looking positive! Thanks again!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is good news. I would let her play with them with supervision several times a day to keep everyone familiar.

8. sebloc

May 7, 2016
    Connecticut
    Hello!
    We have decided to move the chick back in with her friends. She is now fully walking on the leg, and we think it is time they all socialize. If we notice anything different or anything getting worse, we will move her back in fear of getting picked on. Thanks for the help all!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. Hope all goes well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by