Broken leg/ infected foot

Dina431

Chirping
Jan 3, 2018
My chicken recently broke her leg a couple days ago we splinted the leg and it already feels like the bone is back to normal. I took the splint off to clean the leg and now her foot looks infected. Are there any antibiotics I can make to help with the foot or any other ways to help her?
F886C880-4CA7-4E9F-B239-A3BB70AA9FAE.jpeg

(left is broken one)
B7C581E6-D449-4344-9D7F-298F86E5DC7F.jpeg

(broken foot)
19AE6D5D-4E62-47BA-90DE-82547E7CFEEF.jpeg

(normal foot)

The poor dear.
I agree, it looks like it's infected. You can order Cephalexin online that would be a good choice to use, but I'm not sure how long it would take to get it.
A vet may be faster.
I think it should slowly recover on its own. Try soaking a paper towel in hydrogen peroxide and apply it to the infection - it should kill off most infections and clean her leg so it heals faster/better. It won't hurt her.
If you have that, I would recommend it. We use it every time and it works tremendously.

Good luck :)

I think it should slowly recover on its own. Try soaking a paper towel in hydrogen peroxide and apply it to the infection - it should kill off most infections and clean her leg so it heals faster/better. It won't hurt her.
If you have that, I would recommend it. We use it every time and it works tremendously.

Good luck :)
So you've dealt with a broken foot that got infection in the bone like that? Peroxide was all that was needed and there's was no damage to the tissue?
Interesting.

Personally. I would treat with an antibiotic that is used to treat infection in the bone so the bird doesn't get a systemic infection and possibly have to have the foot amputated, but hey, that's just me.

Yesterday Morning I when to let my chickens out and I found what looked like a murder scene. A weasel( I think) pulled the chicks feet through the floorboard cracks. 4 were gone. 2 were so horribly hurt that I had to put them down. 1 was missing a leg. The one in the picture (Loki) has a broken leg. One is missing part of her toe. And three have little cuts on the webbing of there feet. One one chick was ok, unhurt. I am new to chicken keeping and this has never happens to me before. I put out traps to caught the animal. Should I post pictures of all of the chicks? Can a one-legged chick have a good life?

I put a makeshift splint on him, but I am not sure if it is actually doing anything

Yesterday Morning I when to let my chickens out and I found what looked like a murder scene. A weasel( I think) pulled the chicks feet through the floorboard cracks. 4 were gone. 2 were so horribly hurt that I had to put them down. 1 was missing a leg. The one in the picture (Loki) has a broken leg. One is missing part of her toe. And three have little cuts on the webbing of there feet. One one chick was ok, unhurt. I am new to chicken keeping and this has never happens to me before. I put out traps to caught the animal. Should I post pictures of all of the chicks? Can a one-legged chick have a good life?
How terrible!
Yes, you can post photos of all the injuries if you wish. For the chick that you posted a photo of, you will want to clean the wounds first, then re-do your splint and make sure it's not too tight.
Here's a splinting manual that you may find helpful. https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

Back
Top Bottom