broken leg need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimmybee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kimmybee

kimmybee Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2011
    Waddell
    looks like one of my little five week old's has a broken or lame leg, looks like there was some sort of injury I don't know what but it is curled up and she isn't using it, she hops on one leg, will she survive with just one leg? she is still eating and drinking and staying with the flock. can I help her at all, bandage it or splint it?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:My 4-h leaders horse stepped on one of her hens legs and broke it, she took 2 popsicle sticks and tapped them on each side of the hens legs... after a few weeks her leg was fine but she limps now ahah.

4. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    use either/both popsilcle sticks and that sticky ace wrap or maybe even just the ace wrap depending on how bad her leg is. don't wrap it to tight, but tight enough to immobilize it. keep her clam and in a separate crate or inside away from her flock mates for aleast a few days. give her some electrolyte solution or chicken vitamins to give her some extra strenght. I bet she will do well with some care

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by