Broken leg or disease?

tonyschicks

Chirping
Apr 17, 2015
Homestead Florida
A friend 3 weeks ago hatched out 2 silkie chicks. Both seemed to be active and healthy. It was a total of 2 silkies and 4 bantam in the brooder. Yesterday he found one of the silkies with one leg stretched out to its side and obviously not moving as much. Doesn't seem like it's broke and it was walking and running around just fine. He has had this same issue with another breed chick not too long ago.
Any help would be great. Thanks!

Was this sudden and is still continuing?

Chicks do lay out and bask in the brooded lamp. I've thought mine were dead before!

I'd add some vitamin B12 and E to their water to see if that helps with leg weakness.

Had he tried gently manipulating it to see if it slipped a tendon?

MrsB

Yes he tried to move it but seems to come back. I've been trying to upload a picture but it won't let me.
Just seems like a very odd position for his leg to be in

I was just trying to research what sounds like the exact same thing with one of my chicks!

I have some bantam chicks that are just over two weeks old. The night before last we found one of the chicks being picked on by the others. He was lying down with his right leg stretched out and fairly stiff. It did not appear to be a break, and he seemed to be acting fine otherwise. We isolated him in a smaller box under the heat lamp. He was eating and drinking and trying to get up and around. Then, yesterday afternoon, we found him with the other leg straight out, and unresponsive, too! He was still eating and drinking. As of last night he is laying on his side, not getting up, and holding his head up and backward.

I don't believe he will be with us much longer.... The thought of 'putting him out of misery' has me asking if anyone knows the best most humane way as I don't want him to suffer any longer?

I am also very concerned as to whether this might be a deficiency or disease with the other chicks he was with? They have been on medicated chick starter, with added probiotics and electrolytes added to the water, and fine shavings as their litter. Has anyone ever seen this before? Thanks for your help!
1f622.png

I was just trying to research what sounds like the exact same thing with one of my chicks!

I have some bantam chicks that are just over two weeks old. The night before last we found one of the chicks being picked on by the others. He was lying down with his right leg stretched out and fairly stiff. It did not appear to be a break, and he seemed to be acting fine otherwise. We isolated him in a smaller box under the heat lamp. He was eating and drinking and trying to get up and around. Then, yesterday afternoon, we found him with the other leg straight out, and unresponsive, too! He was still eating and drinking. As of last night he is laying on his side, not getting up, and holding his head up and backward.

I don't believe he will be with us much longer.... The thought of 'putting him out of misery' has me asking if anyone knows the best most humane way as I don't want him to suffer any longer?

I am also very concerned as to whether this might be a deficiency or disease with the other chicks he was with? They have been on medicated chick starter, with added probiotics and electrolytes added to the water, and fine shavings as their litter. Has anyone ever seen this before? Thanks for your help!
1f622.png

Sounds like the same thing. Not sure what to tell him or what to do. I've read on here that giving a chick a very high dose of an Antihistamine will cause the chick to over dose and die in its sleep. Im thinking this is what he's going to do also.

1f622.png
This sounds like he could he could have suffered wry neck and a brain injury. There is also a possibility of avian encephalomyelitis (AE,) which is a virus causing paralysis, tremors, and other nerve signs. It affects chicks up to 1 month of age. Here is some reading about it:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/9/avian-encephalomyelitis-epidemic-tremors/
I

A friend 3 weeks ago hatched out 2 silkie chicks. Both seemed to be active and healthy. It was a total of 2 silkies and 4 bantam in the brooder. Yesterday he found one of the silkies with one leg stretched out to its side and obviously not moving as much. Doesn't seem like it's broke and it was walking and running around just fine. He has had this same issue with another breed chick not too long ago.
Any help would be great. Thanks!
You might want to check for a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. Is the hock or knee swollen or red?

Back
Top Bottom