Broken leg

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sowas Ark, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Sowas Ark

Sowas Ark Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    This is really weird. We had a frost and the next day one of my female ducks was sitting for a very long time in a frozen muddy area. I noticed this was odd because the other ones were swimming in the pool and she normally is too. Later when she got up, she was hopping on one leg. Now she's limping really badly. It's clear there's something desperately wrong with her foot.

Could she have gotten her foot frozen to the ground, tried to move and then broke it? Has anyone ever seen this before? I called my vet as I'm in a farming community and they do see ducks but were closed last night. I'm going to watch her closely today. This must have happened two days ago at this point. Any ideas?? I feel terrible for her.

Thanks!!!!!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you picked her up and examined her leg and foot? Sounds like she may need to see the vet. @Sowas Ark If you have a vet that will see her by all means do it. and please let us know what has happened.

3. Sowas Ark

Sowas Ark Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    I'm going to try to do that today. I'll definitely keep you informed. I'm also afraid of freaking her out, especially since she's injured.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She may freak out but your trying to help her she'll get over it I promise. But she needs help. Probably in pain too. [​IMG]

5. Sowas Ark

Sowas Ark Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    I know. The pain upsets me. How would i ever give pain meds to a duck?? Maybe in a piece of bread? I don't give them bread but I guess I can. I usually just give meal worms as a snack.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    In this cold, a number of things can happen. Sometimes frostbite, sometimes cold can aggravate a mild case of arthritis, there could be a splinter or a bumble . . . . examination can help you sort it out, probably.

Vet's a great idea.

I have given Metacam and other liquid medicine by adding it to thawed smashed peas. Peas are the best treat, according to my ducks.

Some folks do well using a syringe - just be careful it does not go down the windpipe - have the vet show you exactly how to do it.

7. Sowas Ark

Sowas Ark Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    I was watching her today and she is limping but using the foot to scratch her head. She may have sprained it, but I don't think it's broken. Thank you so much everyone for the great ideas and support!!!! I really love this site!

8. Sowas Ark

Sowas Ark Just Hatched

May 19, 2016
    I was watching her today and she is limping but using the foot to scratch her head. She may have sprained it, but I don't think it's broken. Thank you so much everyone for the great ideas and support!!!! I really love this site!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by