Broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chick-girl93, Feb 8, 2017.

1. chick-girl93

chick-girl93 New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    One of my chickens got a broken leg. It's completely backyards but healed. It can get in and out of the coop all on its own but it's still cant scratch the ground and peck and it just hobbles around. Am I being mean letting it live it's getting fairly fat... And I feel it's just going to get even fatter. Should I just put it out of its misery or can it live like that? I'm new to the site and to having chickens. I'm not sure what to do. The picture isn't super recent so its kinda obese now I would say. There it looks normal... Most days it lays in the yard sometimes it'll hop around on its one good leg.if there is a way to fix it what can I do? Or is it best to put it out of its misery? [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  2. bertunzo

bertunzo Just Hatched

Dec 31, 2016
    st croix falls wisconsin
    i had one with a broken leg i tried to save it but couldn't had to put it down didn't want to but it was suffering i got advice on u-tube making a splint but it said it should of been done right away thats why it didn't work for me good luck save it if you can is my advice

3. chick-girl93

chick-girl93 New Egg

Feb 8, 2017
    It was probably 5 months ago so it's living and I think it would live But the thing has just started getting pretty fat since it can't walk right. it just lays around once it comes out of the coop. It Hops about sometimes. I'm just not sure what to do since it's just going to keep getting fatter and fatter since it can't get much exercise. Idk how fat it can get before it's just unhealthy for it.... And I'm not sure if it's leg hurts it at all. Or if it's mean to keep it alive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by