Broken leg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by andreagran7, Apr 24, 2019.

1. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    One of my female Muscovies has started to limp badly all of a sudden. She is very low to the ground and can only take a few steps at a time. Is this something you would treat or just wait to see if it heals?

casportpony and The Phantom like this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    Does she have bumble foot?

casportpony likes this.
  3. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    I’m not sure what that is? She wouldn’t normally let me pick her up but I think I could now if necessary ?

4. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Jan 9, 2017
    SE Wisconsin
    casportpony likes this.
  5. Hanathehappyhen

Hanathehappyhen Chirping

Jan 2, 2018
    Nicasio CA
    Is her foot swollen in any areas? If it is she might have bumble foot like another person said or maybe a bug bite. When one of my hens got a yellow jacket sting on her foot but after dipping her foot in cold water the swelling stopped Andy she wasn’t limping.

6. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    Thanks for the info, I will try to catch her later and have a good look at it.

7. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    DEDCE0ED-504D-42BF-97E1-60233502F81E.jpeg

casportpony likes this.
  8. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    There are 2 brown patches on her foot, looks like bumble foot then?
    Has anyone treated this themselves or would you recommend a vet...novice bird keeper!

casportpony likes this.
  9. andreagran7

andreagran7 Chirping

May 23, 2018
    Western Australia
    Looking at those articles again I don’t think it is bumble foot, there is no swelling or redness.
    I videoed her trying to walk but am unable to upload it here, it’s like her leg joint isn’t holding her weight. Any more ideas?

casportpony likes this.
  10. Jan and the flock

Jan and the flock Hatching

Apr 6, 2019
    Call the vet and ask. If she was grabbed by some predator or dog? It could be a fracture. Last summer I had a predator grab one of my dreams rooster by the leg through his chicken tractor....and drag him and the cage about 6 feet across the yard! He ended up with a broken and dislocated thigh bone! My vet! Bless her soul said she didn't know much about birds. But she wanted to try to fix it. So they splinter it under X-Ray. I brought him in as directed And six weeks later! She was thrilled that it healed! She was so glad to have a chance to work on him. She gave me a huge break on the bill. It was a pittence. A win win situation. When I brought him in...I had intended to have him out down if it was serious.

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: