1. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I've come to conclude that one of my Sebright hens that I had to separate out due to limping, may have a broken leg/toe rather than a slipped tendon. She tries to walk, but her left leg is lifted as if she is on her tippy toes and since she loses balance, tries to use her wings as crutches. I can't feel a break anywhere, but it's been several weeks and there is no improvement. Do I need to make a splint? and is there anything I can do to keep her from moving around so much? Thank you, all help is appreciated [​IMG]

2. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I would think you would need an xray to see if, and then where the break is. Otherwise how will you know where to place a splint?
    I have had a chicken that slipped the thigh bone out of the joint. We did get it to pop back in after a lot of manipulation.Could it be something like that? Good luck [​IMG] Terri O

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ship that bird to Reece Witherspoon, she'll get it fixed for ya....[​IMG]

4. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:I may try that and see if anything happens. Any particular methods that you used? Thank you!

5. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] Not a chance Mahonri!

6. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

We just kind of felt around and determined that it was at that joint and then pulled and twisted...not very scientific! But it did work andshe was as good as new--just a bit sore! Terri O

7. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Ok, thanks Terri! I'll let you know if it worked or not.

8. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I tried to move her leg around at the hip. I thought I felt a few pops but it didn't seem to help her any. [​IMG] Would it help if I showed a video of how she is walking?

9. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    It would help if you would post a video of her and if you would wrap a lose towel over her and contact a vet that treats fowl
    and gamebirds try to keep her still by holding her or putting towels over her and WARNING: there will be many washings of towels!!! poop can be a bad thing most times! [​IMG]

10. Year of the Rooster

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Thanks chickengal. I will get the video up when I have a chance. Right now she is in a dog crate in our basement (I am down here a lot since that's where the computer is [​IMG]). She's been pretty active though. It can be hard to get her to stand still sometimes. Just the other day I took her out of her cage to clean it, and she hopped up on the couch by herself, still wobbly, but she manages somehow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by