broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Jul 24, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    hi guys- just met up with a friend to pick up her injured cockeral, a cubalaya, looks like he got his leg broke and will try to rehab him- here are a few shots-

any suggestions on treatment options?
    he is on LY50, vitamins in the water and game bird feed in a cage so his movement is limited his appetite is great..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it's just the photo, but in that first pic the hock area at the the top looks sort of nasty. Also, in the 2nd pic I notice a difference in skin color on the toes of the injured leg. Looks sort of red with a little green in the webbing between the toes. If this was a broken bone that pierced the skin, I'd remove that bandage and check the leg for infection/gangrene. Finding any, you'll need to treat with antibiotics internally and externally. You should also redress that leg with a hard splint on each side but only enough bandage to hold the splints in place. That leg needs air. What is LY50?

3. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    MotherJean knows alot [​IMG] listen to her. get that poor chickie some help right away!

4. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    This looks very similar to an injury my chicken had last year. I also splinted it and changed the bandage twice a day, but like MotherJean said, it looks infected, and then without antibiotics there is little chance. I did not do antibiotics and my girl died in 2 days.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    that exactly what i was thinking when i first looked at the leg, wanted to check here first- ly 50 is antibacterial and antimycloplasmal- the friend had him on that- i also have tylan 50, duramyacin- if those would work better, i took the bandage off, here is a shot for you - i am thinking neosporin might be a thought to put on it? i'm sure there is some bruising too...

[​IMG]

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    His foot was quite swollen the day following the break. The greenish coloring showed up after the swelling went down. I believe it's brusing, not an infection. We've tried our best to keep it clean and covered. I think the mess on the wrapping near his hock was some poop; he'd been kept in a box to limit his movement until I could get him to Robin. As far as I could tell, the bone did not pierce the skin but there is a surface wound where the break is/was. The incident happend earlier last week.

7. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    He is doing real good this morning, i have an open splint on him, 3 sides are splinted so i can put neoporin on it- i was looking at the green, and it really looks more like bruising, yes, that is a scrape but no puncture, his foot isn't inflamed and warm, and he seems to be unbothered by it- really an amazing boy! will get some pics later today, he had scrambled eggs with his breakfast and takes to handleing well... i think you are going to convert me to this breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by