1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken Leg :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kharmel, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I came home from work yesterday to find my RIR Ruby with a broken leg. She was filthy and I know that she must have been having a dust bath in her favorite spot, right in front of the entrace to the horse/sheep shelter. Someone must have stepped on her. Took her to the vet who splinted her leg. Problem is that it's broken very high up on the leg and vet said that is a hard spot to heal. Anyway, she's now in the house. Eating and drinking fine but panting alot. Vet said to keep in inside for at least a month with the splint.

Has anyone had any luck rehabilitating a chicken with this kind of injury? I thought I'd at least give her a chance but if I think she's suffering, I'll put her out of her misery.

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    :O poor girl!!! I hope she recovers for you! [​IMG]

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I had an EE with a compound fracture in January 2010. We splinted the leg and watched for infection. After four months in the house she is now with her flock. She walks with a limp and her foot has no feeling, but she gets along great.

4. Kharmel

Kharmel Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Quote:WOW, four months! My vet said to keep her in the house for 4 weeks. Glad to hear she get's along great now. There is hope.

5. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    I have been around a lot of vets and they are pretty honest about whether an animal should be put down or not. If they didn't talk about euthanasia (as more than a passing thought) then the vet probably thinks the animal has a pretty good chance. They kind of always tell you worst case scenarios, just like doctors.

6. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:WOW, four months! My vet said to keep her in the house for 4 weeks. Glad to hear she get's along great now. There is hope.

In all honesty, since it was so cold last winter, she was molting and she did get an infection, we probably kept her in the house longer than needed. We also had to take some time to reintroduce her to the flock, so we kept her outside for the day in a separate pen, but always brought her in at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by