Broken Leg?

kudzu vine

Songster
11 Years
Oct 4, 2008
Olive Branch MS
My 2 y/o buff was sitting on floor of house night before. Last night, she was still there. I was gone yesterday, so didn't notice if she was in run. Last night, still on floor. Placed her in nesting box. This morning sat her down and she can't walk, looks like leg problem. Possibly could have broken. Place in large cage kennel with food and water. Any recommendations on how to tell if broken?

Give the leg a good feeling over, move it about through full range of motion feel for any odd movments or crepitice (bones crunching together) and watch for signs of pain. Look it over for deformity or discoloration of the skin under the feathers, feel for hot spots that could indicate injury or infection.

Possible it is just a soft tissue injury. Also possible chicken is more sick than injured, there are several illnessess plus vitamin defficiency and poisoning from moldy feed or toxins that can cause lameness.

Good to do a full health check, weight, clear eyes, clear breathing, crop working, poop normal ect.

thanks for reply. I checked her over. Couldn't fell any broken anything. But last night I lost her. Apparently she was ill. No signs of anything except she couldn't stand up. I'm afraid that my others will be lost. I live in N. Mississippi. The only problem I have are sparrows. Last year we found several that looked very sick, their eyes were closed up and we'd find them hopping around bumping into everything. Could it be a bird type illness. They fly into coop and eat feed.

I wondered if that might have been the case, maybe look into botulisum, marek's maybe even avian encephalomyelitis and see if any of that lines up. Keeping in mind you won't likely ever see all the symptoms listed.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

I was going to reply and tell you I had a pullet get stepped on by my horse and she did break her leg. But, I put a splint on it and she healed up good. Sounds like what Clay Farmer said that she had something else more serious like an disease or something. Keep an eye on the rest of your flock and if you can get the bird to a state lab to find out what it was would be helpful.

Best Wishes,
Beth
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom