broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by noidhndlr, Dec 7, 2010.

1. noidhndlr

noidhndlr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    Well I took my poor EE to the vet today. She has a broken femur, completely seperated bones. She doesnt walk real well, but backs up real good. She is laying still, eats and drinks well. I took her to the vet because I was concerned her hip was dislocated.,, this happened about 3-4 weeks ago. Do I really have to euthanize her or can I set her up in her own area and see how things go?

Holly

2. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    That sort of break will never heal given it has been left untreated for weeks. Likely she will be about as recovered as she will ever get. Sorry.

I take it that the vet reccomended she be put down?

Some people would considder keeping a chicken in that state, but I would not. She will without doubt suffer and need a lot of special care, most likely never able to live in a flock.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I agree with Clay Valley Farmer's assessment of the situation. If the bone hasn't started healing at this point then it's not likely going to. Displaced fractures that don't heal well are a constant source of pain, always at risk for bone infections and frequently are weakened to the point that the bone will be re-broken in the future (possibly multiple times). Not a great life for a bird.

I am sorry.

4. noidhndlr

noidhndlr Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2008
    The vets only response was surgery at 1k, nothing could have been done with the leg other than surgery. Ive talked to other vets who have said the leg could calsify at the end and she could live a complete life. Yes she wont be able to run around but she can still have a life. I was just wondering if anyone else had heard such things. I would think if she was suffering she wouldnt be out exploring and laying eggs.

Holly

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I'll be watching this thread to see what you find out. I have a bird that is also having trouble walking, and it FEELS like her hip is dislocated. She is otherwise an extremely healthy RIR, albeit a little late to lay (she's 8 months old and hasn't laid yet or developed a comb or anything, just getting red in the face the last month but no comb/wattles, nothing). She just started limping a while back & the limp has gotten progressively worse. She has no visible signs of anything wrong on her leg, foot, or her skin. In holding her and looking under her feathers, there's no signs of abscess, scratches, or injuries of any kind. Her right hip just seems to be hurting her and nonfunctional. I don't know how she could have hurt it, but it seemed to happen right around the time we had our first deep freeze here overnight a few weeks ago.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    The thing about chickens is that they are tough as an old boot. Very little seems to bother them. Major injuries/illnesses are hidden by them until they seemingly suddenly die for no reason. That is because in their social hierarchy to give signs that you are weak/ill/injured is a death sentence. Ailing chickens are often the target of harassment and attacks by their flock. Chickens exiling (or even killing) sick flock members is a common thing.

Your girl is not going to show signs she is in pain unless she is pretty bad off. The ends of the bones will likely heal, but during that process the bone ends will try to knit together in some way. If the bone is not aligned properly then the ends will heal off-set. This is where the danger comes in because an off-set bone can easily be re-fractured in the future. And the fracture could be done by something as easy as the chicken stretching her leg out and the muscle attachments pulled on the bone hard enough to re-break it. The muscles in the leg are very strong and need a good strong support under them.

Your girl could live through this. I can't see how she could ever be a happy member of a flock, though. If you are going to try to save her then I'd recommend you make her a house chicken. She is going to need a lifetime of special care and consideration. House chickens look at humans and house pets as their flock, so hopefully she wouldn't pine too much for what she lost.

Good luck.

7. Clay Valley Farmer

Clay Valley Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    I would think if she was suffering she wouldnt be out exploring and laying eggs.

Are you suggesting an animal moving about with an unstable femoral fracture is not suffering?????

Their will to eat and reproduce is stong and they just don't sit and cry like humans, but I don't buy it a bit that an unstable broken femur is not causing her extreme pain.

$1000 to treat the leg on a $10 chicken is exactly why I would cull in this case. Sure there are things to be done to keep the hen alive, I'd ask though if it was really being done for wellbeing of the chicken or the owner. If the hen is really that important to you write the vet the cheque.

Actually IMHO the hen would likely do far better with the leg amputated than to leave it hanging there, seen a few one legged chickens and three legged dogs that were making out ok all considdering.

Sorry, I'm blunt by nature... But I posted because I care and wish you and the hen the best.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by