broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johnnycool, Jul 16, 2011.

1. johnnycool

johnnycool New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    One of our young (3 month) chickens broke her leg this evening at the Joint where the feathers meet the skin part of the leg> I call it the knee.
    she has no grip with that leg - so at least I presume it is broken. That joint seems very loose at that joint. Is there anything we can do?
    thank you.

2. froggiesheins

froggiesheins Overrun With Chickens

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Quote:Just saw your post and I sure wish I could help you more....Keep her separated from the rest and keep her quiet. I it possible it is just dislocated or possibly sprained? Is she eating/drinking at all?
    Do you have any idea how this might have happened? Fell / fighting/ etc..? I don't know enuf about chicken anatomy to say much more..[​IMG]
    Hope someone else can help more......[​IMG]

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I hope your chicken is OK! I would say to separate her and put her in a cage to keep her less mobile until she heals. Can you feel a broken bone? Sometimes they stretch that ligament at the knee too. I have a youngster that I believe stretched this ligament somehow. I seen her tonight where it was giving out on her so I put her in a covered kitty littler pan for the night and will cage her tomorrow. I feel bad separating them like that but they have to have time to heal!

4. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Oh, I want to add that TONS of TLC can heal so well, it really really works! [​IMG]

5. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    I swear i've seen on here posts where people have made leg splints for broken legs..i'll search and see if I find any ..i'd keep her separated and quiet tho poor baby!

6. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
  7. froggiesheins

Oct 14, 2010
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    Bravo wilson acres for finding that!

8. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:been a lot of broken leg post this week and good help.

9. johnnycool

johnnycool New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    thanks everyone for your kindness in offering help. She became hysterical from the neighbors dog and flew up on the chicken wire covering the coop and then went on up and hit the ceiling fan.. MY fault for hanging the ceiling fan inside the coop. It will now be moved outside the coop. Her leg is completely limp and loose at the knee joint. I woke up this morning at 4 and started doing more web research. I have wrapped the leg with an ace bandage and put vet wrap over it to hold in place. And have her seperated in a corner of the coop with available food and water... We will continue to give her lots of treats as we did prior to the accident. I have not put a splint on it due to concerns that it would dig into her skin. I will call some vets in the morning and see what they say... we love our 12 chickens .. thanks again.

10. johnnycool

johnnycool New Egg

Jul 16, 2011
    Here is an update for the young chicken with the broken leg. Her thigh bone was broken in half. We had a great avain dr Drew in Quincy Il put a splint on it the middle of July I took a large box and made windows from chicken wire and kept her in the kitchen separated to keep her from the pecking flock that she grew up with. After a couple of weeks she started spending her days outside and nights in the box. I put the other chickens in the 6x10 bus that I made for them and would park them close to the kitchen chicken so they would remain acquainted. In the middle of August we had to leave for a week, so my kind sister n law and her husband took up chicken watching and did a fine job but kitchen chicken had to stay in her box the entire time and got a little stir crazy... Now we let her roam the yard with the other chickens in the evening when we are home and the others chase her to peck at her but she can get away as long as room permits, and she is very leary of the others and keeps her distance. She still gladly comes in her box at night. As far as the leg. The splint is scheduled to come off next week. She gets around great, uses it to scratch, and has a limp but i believe that will lesson when the splint comes off... but we are concerned when it comes time for her to go back in the coop that they will peck the jeebies out of her..... any suggestions on how to prevent that -- or it that even possible? Ok, so I spent more money on her than most would have, but it was worth it to us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by