1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MisttyG, Nov 20, 2011.

1. MisttyG

MisttyG New Egg

May 30, 2011
    One of our girls has apparently has a broken leg. She is staying in her little nest area where she is safe from the roosters but we wondered what we should do for her. She stays off of it as much as possible. We knew she wasn't using that foot very much but just realized it seems to be broken. She has been this way for about a week. I thought about putting a splint on it but I wasn't sure if she would leave it alone. Any suggestions?

2. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Check out the thread "Car vs. Rooster - can he be saved?" The rooster's leg was broken and and OrphanNanny, the OP, splinted it. She describes what she did and how she did it. It might be helpful, and the rooster seems to be doing a lot better.
    You might also try to search 'broken leg' under 'Emergencies....etc.' I wish I had firsthand experience to offer - good luck!

3. MisttyG

MisttyG New Egg

May 30, 2011
    Thanks Amy! I found the thread and we have an idea of what we are going to do. We already have some self cling wrap and I will get some Popsicle sticks tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lisa

4. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Fantastic! Thanks for letting me know - I hope she does really well!

5. OrphanNanny

OrphanNanny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Wausau, Wisconsin
    Oh I hope your poor girl does as well as Lucky is doing! Where is her leg broken? If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by