Broken leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jlockhart88, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jlockhart88

jlockhart88 New Egg

May 9, 2013
    Lizella georgia
    I recently bought some bantams from someone and I think one of the hens had a broken a leg before I got her and it was never treated and healed incorrectly. It doesn't seem to hurt her she just has a bad limp and has trouble going up the ramp to the chicken house. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is there anything I can do to help her?

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    Hello! [​IMG] Welcome to BYC. If it is an old break and healed, there probably is nothing you can do except keep her comfortable. Do they free-range? I would keep a very close eye on her! Her limp will give a predator an added advantage! You might consider rebuilding the ramp. It could be 2 levels or even stairs......

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would watch her. Mycoplasma comes in another form (M. synoviae) that affects the bones, so I would be suspicious that she might have it. If she is having trouble getting around, she might need to be put down. If it was just a break, she might be better off being confined for a week or two, and given some B vitamins.

4. jlockhart88

jlockhart88 New Egg

May 9, 2013
    Lizella georgia
    She will let me pick her up and it doesn't seem to hurt when I touch her leg. It will bend some but it will not extend all the way out like it should. I don't think she can move her toes at all. I do not let her free range and she seems to eat and drink fine so I hate to put her down but I don't want her to suffer.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  6. jlockhart88

jlockhart88 New Egg

May 9, 2013
    Lizella georgia
    Ok thanks I will try vitamins hopefully that will work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by