broken leg

Pthieberger

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
So this is the first broken leg for me. I have a pullet about to start laying anyday now american and her leg seems to be broke she limps with her foot curled and drags the foot behind her. It seems to be where the foot/leg attatches to the part you eat. I talked to some local farmers they said you could try to pull and set it. Well that doesnt work the also said u can splint it (haven't tried yet). Am I pretty much going to have to cull her out. I hate to do it if I can fix it.

So now it wont walk at all I guess it needs to be taken care of...I hunt all year for all different species and I am a big boy....but this is hard I couldnt do it tonight I guess I will have to just swallow the lump in my throat and do what needs to be done (first time). I judt dont want to do it wrong and put her in any pain....any suggestions?

She may possibly be showing symptoms of Mareks disease. If you can, I would put her in a large box with food and water near to her. Mareks can start by weakness or paralysis in one leg or both legs, and sometimes the toes will curl under. They may try to balance with their wings, and be wobbly. There are other conditons that can cause similar symptoms, such as vitamin deficiencies, poisoning, and botulism. That's why I would wait for a few days to decide what to do. Read some of these links, and give her some vitamins in her water.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Is this a tolbunt polish? Mine are very susceptible to mareks. Of all my birds the only two kind that come down with it are the tolbunts and spitzhaubens. It is very frustrating.

No this is an americana. She has been this way about two weeks now. I separated her last night and pur some food and water in the kennel. This morning I inspected all my chickens even my tolbunt. And none of them are showing signs of limp. Hopefully its a calcium problem. The americana was actually alert this morning eating and drinking. But stillnot walking.

Back
Top Bottom