Broken nail bled profusely! What now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audchicken, Jan 6, 2013.

1. audchicken

audchicken New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Cherryfield, Maine
    Hello! New here :)
    I have a buff orp that broke her nail pretty close to the tip of her toe. Found her roosted last night with a puddle of blood below her on the hay. I brought her inside and washed it and cut the hanging nail off. It was pretty much almost off.
    It dripped blood consistently, finally I put neosporin on it and wrapped it in some gauze and taped it up really well. She spent the night in a tote with hay in it in my house.
    The next morning I saw that a lot of blood had seeped out over night but the bandage is still on. I'm pretty sure the bleeding has stopped and she is eating and drinking still and seems strong.
    So here comes the part where I'm not sure what to do next. I want to change the dressing and clean the area, but I'm afraid it will start bleeding again. Any ideas? I really feel like I should check it out.
    I'm hoping it has stopped and sealed up enough so I can treat it without it starting to bleed again.
    Thank you!

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    If it does start bleeding again you can use Kwik Stop to stop the bleeding. Ive also heard flower works well.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. audchicken

audchicken New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Cherryfield, Maine
    Can I get kwik stop at a pet store? That sounds like a good thing to add to the first aid kit.

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Im sure they have it since its meant for dogs and cats.

5. nwredrooster

nwredrooster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2012
    Oregon
    You can definitely get quick stop at pet store. But flour works just as well. You're just trying to get a thickening agent to help the wound slow down the blood flow so it can coagulate.
    A little bit of blood always looks like a lot with an injury. But I have no experience with how much blood loss in a chicken is too much.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If you can't find anything else when you need it, there's flour or cornstarch. Then wrap the best you can. Mine did that once, they bleed like heck.

1 person likes this.
  7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I would not change the bandage too soon. Maybe leave another half day? I doubt infection's a major risk since there has been a good deal of outbound blood flow.
    When you remove the bandage, maybe soak it a little with warm water to make it easier to remove so you can ease it off without tearing open some hardened dried blood, which might re-start bleeding.
    Direct pressure with your finger against the tip of the nail might help, too, but you will probably need to hold it there at least 3 full minutes. When removing your finger, pour a little warm water on or something so you don't tear away blood clots too much.

8. audchicken

audchicken New Egg

Jan 6, 2013
    Cherryfield, Maine
    I ended up taking the bandage off. I did use warm water and soaked it. I then gently pulled the bandage away. It didn't start bleeding again. I used a couple drops of styptic, I think it stung a bit :( But I thought it might help prevent bleeding.
    I gave her a treat of corn and yogurt after that :) after a couple of hours it was still looking good so I put her back out in the chicken coop. The flock was roosted for the night. So she'll have a good 12 more hours of mellow time.
    She was just too hot in my house. She was
    panting poor girl. Hopefully that scab holds tight tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the tips!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by