Broken Neck?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bart40330, Nov 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bart40330

bart40330 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2008
    Harrodsburg KY
    I went out to this coop this morning to feed, water, and check for eggs, and I noticed that one of my three month old silkies was just laying there. He didn't jump up and come for food.

I looked at him and he couldn't hold his head right. He was all off balance and it looked like his head was upside down! He rolled around and flogged and carried on when I sit him down.

It sort of looks like his neck is twisted. Could his neck be broken? He has no outward signs of damage - no blood or scratches. I am afraid to put him out of his misery in case it is something that he is going to snap out of. Muscle spams? Cramps?

Any ideas?

2. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Could it have fallen of the roost at night? That is the only thing I can think of. If so you might want to put it down. I had a 32 week buff orp that got sick so I decided to take it to the vet. After the $30 consultation fee and they told me care would run about $200+ I put her down. I couldn't see putting $250 or so into a $2.35 chicken. Wish you good luck.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by