Broken neck???

eking121121

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2018
Hi guys,
So yesterday I purchased some pb araucanas, one was 1/4 sussex. Left them in a smaller sleeping area overnight along with my 3 big sussex chooks, one of whom is a roo. I came out this morning. All the pb araucana were happily grazing in the pen with my sussex, but my crossbred was sitting in the sleepingarea with it's whole head turned upside down. Originally, I thought it had a broken neck, but when I put food out, it twisted it's neck fully the right way and ate. However, I think it struggled to do that and it stopped after a couple of minutes. It hasn't drunk anything all morning, possibly because it can't see very well with it's neck twisted like that. It fixes its neck and ears when it wants to, but it can't get out of the original sleeping area because the idea was that my big sussex chooks couldn't get over the small ledge, but chicks could by flying out 10cm. I doubt it could have gotten out, had a sussex injure it and somehow get back in again. I really do not want to cull the chick, but what else should I do?

ChickenDoctor145

Chirping
Oct 4, 2018
Vitamin E deficiency causes muscle distrophy and inbalances, a common symptom is when the head is twisted upside-down because they don't have the strength to hold it up. Is there any way that could be it? Broccoli, pumpkin, asparagus, and other greens are good natural supplements, but at this point vitamin supplements are the best bet

eking121121

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2018
Hi guys,
So I've isolated her and given her some vitamin e supplements and water with an eye dropper. I also gave her a milk lid full of water and vitamin e that if she really needs, she may be able to drink some. She seems to be eating ok. She definitely can't balance properly, she backs herself against the side of the container to balance. However, she seemed to have a lot more energy by this afternoon. I am also throwing a few vitamin e rich foods into the coop for all the other araucanas who came with her.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Thiamine (vitamin B1) is also good to use with wry neck (torticolis, crook neck.) A little egg or tuna daily will add selenium, needed to help the utilation of vitamin E. 400 micrograms of E daily would be good to use.

Wry neck can be hereditary, from a vitamin deficiency, from a head or neck injury, and sometimes seen in certain diseases that affect the brain, such as Mareks, fowl cholera, and others. If she cannot get enough to eat or drink, try wrapping her in a towel and feeding her very watery chicken feed with bits of egg about 3 or 4 times a day. Offer plain water as well.

Here is some reading:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wry-neck-causes-treatment-and-prevention.67732/

Top Bottom