Broken Neck?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BasilHillFarm, Jun 19, 2010.

1. BasilHillFarm

BasilHillFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Dresden, Maine
    Hi, I have a Coturnix Quail that bonked it's head and now it holds it's head against it's chest and walks backwards....... It can still eat and drink when I hold it and is moving it's head all over just not up...... Does it sound broken or sprained or what? I know quail can break their necks if they get momentum going but I would think that they wouldn't be able to move around normally and eat / drink..... Any opinions?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would guess sprain . the few that I have had that broke their necks couldnt do anything but kinda roll around afterward...

3. BasilHillFarm

BasilHillFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Dresden, Maine
    Turns out to be concussion. It was fine a few hours later. If only they would stop jumping so hard. lol. They are a lot tamer then pheasants however. [​IMG]

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Good .. I agree they are calmer but still spazz out too darn much.. I have lost about 20 birds to flushing during our recent severe storms...

5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't have the problem with the coturnix being that jumpy. During bad weather though they are a bit frightful. I would think if it broke it's neck with wouldn't be getting around. I have one that has a neck injury. It should have been culled but it is so strong and healthy something wouldn't let me. And yet I process hundreds a year no problem. Go figure. This one of mine has a neck injury that lays it's head sideways. It does everything just fine except it's head is turned sideways. I wouldn't think broken but maybe muscle issues?

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:when I built my pens I only built them 10" high at the front at the back they are 8" the eggs roll out this way and the birds do not jump alot

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    MOST OF MY PENS ARE ANYWHERE FROM 12 TO 20 OR SO INCHES TALL.... ONLY INJURIES I EVER GET IS WHEN 1 OF THE IDIOTS WALKS OUT THE OPEN DOOR AND FALLS TO ITS DEATH [​IMG]

NOT REALLY, ACTUALLY THEY JUST KINDA PLOP ON THE GROUND WITH A LOOK OF " WHAT HAPPENED?" ON THEIR FACE.... THEY ARE THEN PROMPTLY RETREIVED AND REPLACED BACK INTO THEIR PENS...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by