broken neck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tamatik, Aug 1, 2010.

1. tamatik

tamatik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2007
    massey ont
    my young red pyle pullet cant seem to lift her head..Almost l;ike a broken neck>I have felt it and moved it and she doesnt seem to be in any discomfort or pain.she is weak and cant stand and the neck flops from one side to the other is she does move.mostly she just sits there with her head /beak touching the floor. I have been using a eye dropper to hydrate her..any input..thank you..
    gord in ont
    canada

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  2. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    I have no suggestions to help. I hope you figure it out and hope she gets better soon!

3. my3jsons

my3jsons Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
  4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Now how old is she?

5. tamatik

tamatik Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2007
    massey ont
    she is just 4 months old. I started seeing improvement last nite and this morning she is back to normal, albeit, very friendly now..she was a scaredy cat b4.
    VERY fast turnaround..[​IMG]

6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That is a fast turn around. I hope it keeps up. Yours is too young for egg laying but I had a hen eggbound that suddenly couldn't hold her head up and would flop front first to the ground. Healthy one minute, flopping head first to the ground (not all eggbounders have the same symptoms I'm finding). Obvious, sudden distress. Well, I fixed her up but you just never know what you'll find when you go out to the coop.

7. debbieandbrucebuck

debbieandbrucebuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    Sounds like she was dehydrated. I've had several do the same thing....crooked necks, can't hold their head up, very weak......I always give gatorade. Turn around time is really quick. I would follow-up by keeping her cool for a few days and giving electrolytes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by