1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broken or dislocated ankle

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucy70, May 3, 2016.

1. Lucy70

Lucy70 New Egg

May 4, 2015
    I have a female Indian runner duck and she is limping I notice the knuckle just above her foot is where it is not working how should I fix it and do I in-mobilize her til it heals and for how long

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ideally, you could find a good duck vet to help... I know that is not possible, always.

There is a poultry podiatry page on the poultrypedia site that has some good information.

I would give her as much time in lukewarm water deep enough to float in, to take the weight off it, and to improve circulation.

You may want to consider some kind of sling, and perhaps some kind of wrapping . Not sure exactly what might help, not being able to see what we are dealing with.

Also, please post over on the duck forum - more duck people are there.

@casportpony

3. Lucy70

Lucy70 New Egg

May 4, 2015
    My ducky with broken leg must have had more wrong than I thought. I live in a very small town and vets are far and few and the vet here dose not know much about ducks but anyway update on her she past away today. Thank you to who all replied

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by