Broken or sprained leg/foot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starchicky, Sep 13, 2016.

1. starchicky

starchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Yesterday I saw one of my chickens seriously hobbling. So I separated her into the chicken tractor. She avoids putting any weight on her right leg ave holds her foot up. She hobbles when she has to but will lay down quickly. I may need to put her in a smaller housing and bring her food/water, I'll keep watching her. No obvious wounds or anything. Any advice is great, never had a chicken with a leg injury.

2. Heidi65

Heidi65 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My Coop
    Have you looked at the bottom of her foot for possible bumblefoot? There are several pictures on BYC of what they look like but here is what my Meg looked like with one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any pictures?

3. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    Yeah I checked it, it's not bumble foot

4. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    I can't feel any broken bones, I tried feeling up to her hip. She can still curl her toes on that side. She's still eating and drinking.

5. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    She can use her foot to scratch her head and had been standing on it a but more. Has problems when she puts weight on it or tries to push off. Still eating and drinking ok.

6. LeonieV

LeonieV Just Hatched

Aug 27, 2016
    I have similar - limping but no bumble foot. Mine now has a very pale comb and I've separated her cos she wasn't getting much food cos she's slow! She's had limping before after a lot of rain so hopefully it will sort itself out. Maybe arthritis?

7. starchicky

Sep 14, 2013
    Oregon
    My chicken is just 8 months. I think she injured either her leg or her hip doing a flying jump and landing badly. She's doing a bit better, putting more weight on her leg but still limping heavily. I'll keep her separated still for awhile. Her comb and everything else seems fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by