Broken/slightly crushed egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roree-23, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Roree-23

Roree-23 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    So last night I had what looked like an early pip; it would only be day 17/18. This morning I looked at it more closely and I think it had just been stood on. The egg had been pushed out from under the chicken and was cold, not making any noise and had blood on it. I assumed it must be dead by now and but when I picked it up I found that the chick inside was still moving. I put it back under the mother hen and it has been a few hours and the chick inside seems ok at the moment.

I was just wondering whether there was any hope that it might survive. I have moved the hen inside so I can keep an eye on her because I am worried that if she sits on it wrong she could just crush the chick.
    The egg has two very small breaks on either side where the membrane is has a tiny amount of blood on it but not actually bleeding. One of the breaks is just on the airsac and there is about a 1cm hole in the shell over the airsac.

So, any hope at all?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Sure there is, but not a huge amount.

Good luck.

Let us know what happens.

(I would not try to move it again)

And: [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. Roree-23

Roree-23 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    [​IMG] Just went to check and found a partially fluffy chick! Amazed that it is actually ok; maybe I just cant count and it was meant to hatch today! [​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Awesome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by