Broken spur

wolfgirl9

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
Today after i got my rooster out of his coop where he sleeps i noticed a large welt on his leg. At first i thought it was bumble foot because it looked like it was on his toe. Then i looked for his spur and realized that the spur was the lump that was all puffy and red. i put him down and made him walk a few feet. he isn't limping so i don't think he can feel it that much. I'm not sure what i should do. should i leave it alone? or take him to the vet?
sad.png

Here are a few pictures (that leg is his healthy spur)

(And the bottom leg is the broken spur)

My rooster broke of both of his long spurs this year at separate occasions, and he was fine. They do tend to bleed a lot, so if you see it, using pressure along with some blood stop powder or flour on the spot would help to control the bleeding. Many like to keep spurs trimmed or filed down for safety of hens, and to prevent this from happening.

Thanks. I noticed my roo had a spur that looked bloody. I was worried that he had spurred one of his girls, but then I noticed that it was much smaller than the other. So, somehow, he must have caught it on something and the bony part was pulled off. He does not seem to favor the leg or pay it any special attention. So, I'll just wait for the spur to grow back.

Back
Top Bottom