Broken tail feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stubbornhill, Apr 25, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I purchased some 18 month old hens from a local lady a couple of months ago. One of the Wyandottes, had tail feathers that looked like they were broken off at different hights and the back half of her is all downy (no mature feathers). In my ignorance, I bought her anyhow thinking that maybe she was moulting. She acts fine, lays eggs and seems otherwise in good health. None of the other hens seem to have any issues. I know that a picture would help, but I am new and can't post pictures yet. Thanks so much.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It sounds like it may be rooster damage. The good news is when she does finally molt, those feathers should grow back in, and she'll look perfectly lovely. An over-zealous roo will leave his favorite girls with feather damage- either bare, featherless patches or areas where the feathers are all broken off. If you want to encourage new feathers to grow in that area you can pluck out the damaged feathers. New feathers will grow in their place. Be aware that plucking really hurts, so I am not actually advocating doing that, but it is an option if appearance is important to you.

Good luck.

ETA-[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    Could it be rooster damage? My rooster's favorite hen has broken tail feathers along with a couple of bald spots!

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thank you ladies so much! I hadn't thought of that. We don't have a rooster, but as I said, she was that way when we got her. I'll hold of on the plucking. Ouch! It's not bothering her, so I won't let it bother me...I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something medical. I've named her Scruffy. I may have to adjust her name when her new feathers come in. [​IMG]

5. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My girl is called "Scruffy" too! [​IMG]

6. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    It could also be that she didn't have enough roosting space, and broke her feathers there, but either way, I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by