Broken talon

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mlinke, Apr 2, 2017.

1. mlinke

mlinke Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    I have a 3-4 week old chic that has a talon that is either hanging by the bone or a tendon. Not sure what to do. I have separated her from the rest but not sure where to go from there

2. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Talon? Like her toe? Or her toenail? Or like her whole foot or leg? Do you have any photos?

3. mlinke

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    It's a little bit past her toenail... I don't have any pics but it's just one of her toes...literally just past her toenail

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably broken off. I would pour some betadine on the toe, and with clean, sharp scissors, cut it off. Then put pressure on it if there is blleeding. Bandage it with plain neosporin, gauze, and wrap with strips of vet wrap or tape.
    If you would rather not cut it off, then put betadine on it, and bandage it with neosporin, and bandaids or gauze and tape. The toenail and tip will probably fall off in time, but it will remain painful for some time until it heals.

5. mlinke

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    Will iodine work

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes iodine would be fine.

7. mlinke

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    We cut off the part that was hanging and there was no bleeding at all. We used iodine and neosporin but the dressing won't stay on. We have her in a separate brooder with a towel on the floor. I'm not sure we will be able to keep dressing on it

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes neosporin makes tape useless sometimes. Maybe just use the iodine next time and try wrapping it. My hen who lost a toe tip and nail limped for awhile, but it healed fine, although without a toenail.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by