Broken Thigh Bone

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zhazha3, Jan 25, 2017.

1. zhazha3

zhazha3 New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    One of my hens was hurt very badly. She has a severe splinter break to thigh bone. I pressed the bones into place and taped it snuggly. I am really worried about this bird. It is three days and she is eating and drinking fine. She has even laid two eggs during since the accident. HOWEVER, I am noticing a green discoloring on her lower leg. I don't know if this is bruising or what. She seems fine otherwise. I can tell it hurts her if it is moved to much. It does not smell. The entire lower leg may have been injured too, but not broken. I would think she would show other symptoms by three days. Is green bruising normal????

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Yes, green bruising is normal.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Welcome to BYC

Chickens can show bruising in various colors from green, blue to black.

How are you keeping her?

It may be possible to heal a break like that, but be aware that a lot of times breaks do become infected. If you have a vet that can see her that would be best, they can prescribe antibiotics that may help her out.

If you have photos those will be welcome as well[​IMG]

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by