1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken toe, bumblefoot possibly, blood in poop, help please! (lots of pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puIIets, Sep 17, 2016.

1. puIIets

puIIets Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Hi; my three and half years old black Australorpe hen has what we believe bumblefoot (on both feet) as well as a broken toe. On top of that she is molting her down feather and had something red-orange (blood maybe? idk) in her faeces and I was wondering if there was a connection. We gave her a warm espom salt bath, and then put polysporin on what we believe to be the bumblefoot (as if it is bumblefoot it's not big enough to have the surgery and get the core out). We splinted her broken toe and put gauze on the bumblefoot, and wrapped her legs with adhesive, cohesive (later on when we found it) and electrical tape. Our hen Sky has always been a rather light and small chicken, and she's normally healthy, very active and flighty. The chickens get to roam our yard and mainly stay on the lawn so we believe she hurt her feet while flying off the roost in the coop as our Australorpes and Barred Rock often stumble when landing and land heavily (there's not too much room to land flying from the roost, and it's relatively high so we're planning to put another one under it so they won't hurt themselves as much). We've never had foot problems before except with our three bantam cochins, whom we got from another person. They have (we haven't been able to get rid of them) what we believe is scaly leg mites. Her symptoms include standing on what foot and laying down to take pressure off - instead of running, she flies when trying to go fast and lands awkwardly. Her poop as I said has the reddish stuff in it, but otherwise looks fine - good shape, white and brown. She's been eating and drinking and isn't as active as normal, but she still was wandering around in the yard. We've put her in a small pen with a cat carrier in it. The bottom of the pen is covered with a couple toes then paper towel, and we've given her food and water (with apple cider vinegar, which we always add).
    [​IMG]
    As seen above, her middle toe on her right foot is oddly shaped (and though you can't see it, swollen, and there's scales coming apart above it which I read was a sign of a broken/fractured bone). That is the toe we believe to be broken, and also the foot she keeps held up.

[​IMG]
    The red in her poop

[​IMG]
    The hen in the back is the injured one (the one in the front is our blind hen)

[​IMG]
    Her vent doesn't seem bad (though it's hard to tell with this picture)

[​IMG]
    Her face, which shows no signs of injury or sickness.

[​IMG]
    The cut on the foot with the broken toe

[​IMG]
    The cut on her other foot

[​IMG]
    The gauze

[​IMG]
    The foot without the broken toe

[​IMG]
    Foot with the broken toe, the big black thing is the splint.

[​IMG]
    Her feet

[​IMG]
    Her pen

Please help!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The dark spot on the foot pad is mild bumblefoot. It can become common when there are a lot of small sharp rocks around the ranging area or coop. I don't usually do bumblefoot surgery unless there is swelling, redness, and limping. There are many threads on BYC about bumblefoot treatment if you do a search at the top of this page. Her toe is probably just crooked, a birth defect that is not treatable after the first few days of life. Splinting if done in the first week can help straighten toes. For scaly leg mites, castor oil applied and rubbed into the scales once a week or less for several treaments, can help.

3. TheChickInn29

TheChickInn29 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2015
    My Black Jersey Giant hen is limping bad. She has been limping for a week now. It has gotten a little better, because on the first day she started limping she could hardly walk. Now she can walk, but it looks horrible when she walks. Its like she is almost jumping on one leg and only using the bad one to balance. I examined her foot amd leg. Nothing seems wrong. Will this heal in time? Thanks

4. puIIets

puIIets Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks Eggcessive! I'll look into that. I do know her toe isn't a birth defect as I've seen her feet a lot and it's never been like before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by