Broken Toe???????? help!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Danceswthhens, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Danceswthhens

Danceswthhens New Egg

May 7, 2010
    NW, Wisconsin
    So I got home Monday before last after being gone overnight and wouldn't you know it but one of my 5 Wyandotte hens decided to take her revenge by showing off a nice newly acquired limp, I think just to give me the needle for leaving them overnight,lol. I'm a worried she could have a broken toe or something and I'm just not sure what to look for... its been just over a week and she hasn't improved and if anything she seems to be maybe just a tad more sore. She walks around fine but you can see a slight limp if she walks quickly and lately, when she can, she holds her right foot up off the ground. You really notice though if she decides to run/flap her way around, usually to catch up to others if she's drifted too far behind. I've had a look at her and can find nothing wrong with her foot/leg, ie: sores or "bumble foot?", but these are my very first chickens ever, got them May 4th at a day or so old, and would like someone with more experience to point out to me what to look and or feel for. They all are eating and drinking and acting as "plucky" as ever and all have been vaccinated for Mareks if that needs to be considered, just need some advice on what if anything I can do and what to look for. Thanks in advance!!

P.S I have read through the posts that i could find about limping chickens in an effort to save time but I really could use some pointers on what actually the problem might be so I can read what to do about it, Thanks again!!

2. MistyValley

MistyValley Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Patterson MO
    Okay I'm not a super expert or anything, but I'll do some guessing and give you a bump all at the same time. Is there any swelling? If so it could be bumble foot. There are a ton of threads here on Bumble foot including how to treat. Hope this gets you started.

3. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    If she had a broken toe, it would be very noticable. It would be swollen and most likely twisted. It is really, really hard to feel for a break in their legs - at least I think so. Just feel all the way up her leg starting at her ankle. It won't be so much what you feel as how she reacts. If she jerks away when you touch a certain spot then there could be a break.

I would look more at her foot though. Check her nails carefully. Make sure that they aren't torn and that there isn't anything stuck in them. Look very carefully at the pad of her foot. Look and feel. Bumblefoot would be a small dark scab on her foot. Also look for any other injuries to her foot. Any scratches or anything.

If you can't see anything, it might be a good idea to soak her foot to clean it off so that you can get a better look at it.

Those are just a few suggestions and I think a good place to start.

Good luck!![​IMG]

4. Danceswthhens

Danceswthhens New Egg

May 7, 2010
    NW, Wisconsin
    okay guy, thanks for the advice!!! I took a real good look at the feet and everything seems to be fine. Sad to admit it but I was hoping to find SOMETHING at least but she was pretty clean and I didn't see any sores/holes/swelling/bumble foot. She didn't really act as if she minded me touching her anywhere and let me handle her with just a bit of chicken growling, or whatever that sound is they make when their mildly worried,lol. I 'll just keep checking on her I guess, her limp isn't getting worst at least and if anything there seems to be maybe a slight improvement. I just hate mysteries though so maybe I'll get lucky and solve this to my satisfaction at some point. Thanks again and if theirs anyone with further ideas it would be welcome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by