Broken toe? Infection? Fungus?

DreamShine

Chirping
Dec 11, 2018
I’m so confused what is causing this chicks foot to look like this! Anyone seen this before?

Attachments

• ED4AD074-919F-4CC4-9DF8-BAD8B443335F.jpeg
    ED4AD074-919F-4CC4-9DF8-BAD8B443335F.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 20
  • A64D2B36-0322-42A2-84AE-9C225A07ACDE.jpeg
    A64D2B36-0322-42A2-84AE-9C225A07ACDE.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 11
Could she have gotten it pinched in a door, got a string or hairs wrapped around the toes or got it hung up in something?
To me it looks like it's been injured/damaged.
Time will tell if she loses the toe or not.

I think I would keep her on clean dry bedding, see if the swelling goes down or if the skin ruptures. If it ruptures, then soak in diluted chlorhexidine, let that dry, then apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Keep her on dry puppy pads if the skin ruptures.

Could she have gotten it pinched in a door, got a string or hairs wrapped around the toes or got it hung up in something?
To me it looks like it's been injured/damaged.
Time will tell if she loses the toe or not.

I think I would keep her on clean dry bedding, see if the swelling goes down or if the skin ruptures. If it ruptures, then soak in diluted chlorhexidine, let that dry, then apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment. Keep her on dry puppy pads if the skin ruptures.
Thank you so much for the reply! We got her from the hatchery like this, so we aren’t sure what happened!

Thank you so much for the reply! We got her from the hatchery like this, so we aren’t sure what happened!
Awww! Well, the chicks often are on a conveyor belt, could have gotten caught or mashed during processing or shipping.

I would just keep watch on it, hopefully it will heal quickly. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom