Broken toe, now open wound

EmilyRae

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 18, 2012
Derry, NH
So my cockerel im pretty sure broke his toe as a chick as it is crooked.. he didnt show any signs of distress and seemed to be using that foot normally. However, today I noticed very red and crusty dried blood in between the broken toe and his middle toe... is there anyway I can reverse the damage done by the break, and how do i proceed with an open wound in terms of treating it... Im very worried :(

In terms of the open wound, I would wash his foot with a little soap (Dawn dish soap liquid works great for me) and warm water. Then I would put Neosporin on it. That's what I did when my Pekin duck got an open wound on his head from a predator bite, and he recovered fully. I would also keep him in a separate area, fenced in (if he's not already) with clean bedding to minimize the chance for infection until it heals. Regarding the broken toe, I'm honestly not sure if you can "set" that or not. I can tell you I inherited a chicken with an obvious broken toe (old injury), and she is perfectly fine. Doesn't even limp. Maybe trying searching "broken toe" on this emergency forum?

As for the broken toe, I bet it will set and heal up on it's own and won't bother him, unless he's self conscious of his crooked toe.

Haha he might be.. he already lets the ladies push him around quite a bit.. I hope he finds his manliness soon. But thanks for the great tips!..

Ill have to find somewhere to keep him away from the others.. even though he puts up quite a fuss when it comes to being handled

Back
Top Bottom