Broken toe, now open wound

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EmilyRae, Jan 10, 2013.

1. EmilyRae

EmilyRae Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Chesterfield, MA
    So my cockerel im pretty sure broke his toe as a chick as it is crooked.. he didnt show any signs of distress and seemed to be using that foot normally. However, today I noticed very red and crusty dried blood in between the broken toe and his middle toe... is there anyway I can reverse the damage done by the break, and how do i proceed with an open wound in terms of treating it... Im very worried :(

2. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    In terms of the open wound, I would wash his foot with a little soap (Dawn dish soap liquid works great for me) and warm water. Then I would put Neosporin on it. That's what I did when my Pekin duck got an open wound on his head from a predator bite, and he recovered fully. I would also keep him in a separate area, fenced in (if he's not already) with clean bedding to minimize the chance for infection until it heals. Regarding the broken toe, I'm honestly not sure if you can "set" that or not. I can tell you I inherited a chicken with an obvious broken toe (old injury), and she is perfectly fine. Doesn't even limp. Maybe trying searching "broken toe" on this emergency forum?

3. babyrabbitjones

babyrabbitjones Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    There's a great product called Vetericyn, you can spray on wounds and it kills bacteria, viruses, and fungi...I picked it up at Tractor supply.

4. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Thanks for the tip - sounds way easier than my old standby, Neosporin! :)

5. babyrabbitjones

babyrabbitjones Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2011
    As for the broken toe, I bet it will set and heal up on it's own and won't bother him, unless he's self conscious of his crooked toe.

6. EmilyRae

EmilyRae Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Chesterfield, MA
    Haha he might be.. he already lets the ladies push him around quite a bit.. I hope he finds his manliness soon. But thanks for the great tips!..

Ill have to find somewhere to keep him away from the others.. even though he puts up quite a fuss when it comes to being handled

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by