Broken toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by caseyleah, Jul 18, 2010.

1. caseyleah

caseyleah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    I know this may not be an emergency, but I was out in my coop earlier and I noticed my RIRs (about 11 weeks old) toe looked crooked. It just looks like she constantly has it bent. She seems to be walking and running away from my husband just fine (LOL). Is there anything I should put on it or do to it? I don't know when it happened or if its even already healed and I just never noticed before because she's really shy. Any advice would be helpful, thank you!

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Sounds like a broken toe about 3 of my flock have broken toes, one I spotted early and tried to fix(here is his toe):
    [​IMG]
    In most cases its hard to bandage to fix and I have come to the conclusion that unless it gets infected or is hampering their movement or life just to let it go.

3. caseyleah

caseyleah Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    Thank you, I just feel so bad for her & wish I could do more to help.

4. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    If it is a broken toe, in "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" it says to use a pipe cleaner as a splint. The shaped pipe cleaner goes under the foot to hold the toes out straight. I personally have never tried this. I wish we had had this book when one of our barred rocks broke her toe last year. It was her longest toe and it is very crooked. On the plus side, she walks and roosts fine and nobody picks on her.
    Whether or not you do anything I would think probably depends on the severity of the break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by