Broken toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skip, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicken's toe got caught in some wire mesh and is broken. How do I set it? Please help.

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Chick Shoes
    CAUTION: A chick wearing Chick Shoes can easily drown if it stumbles near a water container. See "Prevent Drowning in Water Dish" section.
    Use to for splinting and correcting Curled or Twisted Toes.

Can be made from sponge or thin cardboard taped to foot and toes with sports tape.
    A different type of chick shoe splint can be made from pipe cleaners (or flower arranging wire and thin padding, for older chickens) and sports tape.
    When chick is young: Important to put on new shoe at least every 1-3 days while feet growing fast.
    Make sure shoe size increased regularly so foot doesn't outgrow shoe.
    Notice and correct sooner if chick wiggles toe into wrong position, before deformities caused.
    *Be extra sure to follow instructions at top of this page for safe removal of tape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toe Taping

Can be done on any age chicken to help fix individual Broken or Deformed Toes or improperly rotated back toe ("Duck Foot").
    Sports tape works well.
    When repositioning toes, make gradual changes. Be careful that tension from tape doesn't cause excessive pain or damage skin.

Change tape regularly to monitor for infection and chafing, and so that tape does not inhibit healthy growth or restrict circulation.
    At least every other day for young chicks.
    Every 4-5 days for older chickens.
    *Be extra sure to follow instructions at top of this page for safe removal of tape.

3. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Redroosterfarm for your quick reply. It is an adult chicken, and the toe is dislocated at the joint. How long do I need to have the bandage on before she heals?

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I have had to wrap my hens and it took several weeks. Everyone does it different so look for other good advice too. Each bird is different and it depends on the hen. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by