broken toe

javelina21

Chirping
Mar 27, 2011
I have a 3 month old black australorp with a broken toe & I'm not quite sure what to do. We hadn't noticed it up until this AM when we let them out. She doesn't seem to be distressed, but I'm wondering if it's going to bother her as she gets heavier. It's the first forward pointing toe on her foot. Any advice?

We have a 2 yr old Barred rock that broke her toe last summer. I'm guessing she broke it while jumping the fence into the neighbor's yard, little stinker. It never seemed to bother her, so we let her be. It healed, crooked, all on it's own. I think as long as the skin isn't broken, it should be ok. However, there are many more folks on here with a lot more experience than me. Maybe someone will chime in
wink.png

Thanks for your reply. It's not bleeding & the skin doesn't appear to have been broken, but it looks just awful. If my finger or toe were pointing at that angle, I'd probably be on the floor in the fetal position, crying.
hmm.png

if the other chickens are not bothering her i wouldn't worry to much, if they are you will need to keep her separate until it heals enough so she is no longer limping or in danger of getting beat up ... as for bumble foot it can be pretty serious. you need some good antibiotic/ first aid supplies to remove bumble foot. untreated it can kill the chicken. its a infection that needs to be treated in order to go away....i don't know of any roots or herbs strong enough to treat staph.

I called my husband at work & told him he'll need to pick up something we can use as a splint. Unfortunately, the poor girl is going to have to wait until I have another adult here to help with the splinting --I doubt my ability to hold her, straighten the toe & splint it without causing lots of stress....for both of us.
smile.png

Something that should be on every new chicken owner's "to have" list is a buddy or spouse - there seem to be SO many things that are either not possible without a second set of hands or are just so much easier that way. Good luck with your chicken's toe. My husband's toe was recently broken by one of our horses - his fault, not hers - but all the doctor could do was tape it to toe next to it which is basically splinting it. At least his wasn't going in the wrong direction - although the doctor did say it was "crunchy".
smile.png

Well, we straightened the toe (which was MUCH easier than I'd imagined), used a toothpick as a splint & wrapped it with self-adhering gauze. She seemed very nervous, but tolerated it well. I guess well find out tomorrow how she's doing.
big_smile.png

Any one with example Picts of splinting a toe? I gotta splint a toe but I don't want my girl to have trouble walking or getting splint stuck to something

I'm a newbie, and found this thread when trying to find and answer to my question....then I noticed the date. Is this thread so old nobody will see it? Anyway, here goes. My Ameraucana (one of 4) has what appears to be, 2 toes on the same leg at an odd angle. It's her right inner two, pointing in at the first knuckle nearest her foot. It doesn't seem to bother her walking or sitting on the edge of boxes in their coop. None are of laying age yet, probably teenagers? I was cringing reading the splinting suggestions...so I would rather not go there. Not that I'm squeamish, just don't want to upset them.

Back
Top Bottom