1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken Toe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 1001Cochins, Dec 29, 2014.

1. 1001Cochins

1001Cochins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    Hey guys,
    The whole thing started a few days ago. I was checking on my flock and I noticed one of my 12 week old pullets limping very badly. I picked her up and I couldn't see anything abnormal so I put her down and left her alone. That night though, I noticed she hadn't moved and so I picked her up and put her underneath a light and thoroughly checked her out. The only thing I could find was some redness in between her first and second toe and a small, hard, lump on the latter. So, I washed the foot and put some vetwrap on it and put her in a box under the heat lamp. This was Friday, and no signs of improvement. I have started putting on pain relief cream because she is still very tender on the foot and she doesn't try to use it at all and just hops around on the other leg. So my question is, is there anything else I can do? I have been keeping it clean and changing the bandage regularly; what I am worried about is that she will lose the ability to walk on the foot even when it is healed because she isn't using it at all now. Is there anything I can do to exercise it? She struggles when I touch it and there is a good amount of heat in the red area, but no more swelling. Please let me know if there is anything else I should be doing, she is a very sweet bird and I don't want to lose her (or her leg). Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of the foot because it sounds like bumblefoot between the toes? Bumblefoot is a staphylococcal infection affecting the footpad or areas between the toes on top of the foot, usuallyfrom a tiny cut in the foot from a rock or other object. High roosts can also be a possible cause. Pain relief creams that contain benzocaine, lidocaine orother pain numbing medicines can be toxic in large doses to chickens.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  3. 1001Cochins

1001Cochins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2014
    It doesn't look like bumblefoot, I have had plenty of experience with that. The swelling is down tonight, and it seems less red. Here are some pics, sorry for the blurry parts, the pullet did not like me holding her hurt foot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The redness/swelling is between the middle and right toes in second to above pic and between the first and second toes in pic #1 and #2. The most red place is in the above pic down at the joining of the toes, it looks almost like a scrape, but it is beneath the skin. The pain relief cream uses menthol and camphor. It has a very nice minty smell. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by