Broken Toes/Feet/Legs or Spondylolisthesis aka Kinky Back (Please help!!!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IsamFarm, Aug 12, 2014.

1. IsamFarm

IsamFarm New Egg

Jul 22, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    Hello-
    I have a 21 week old Black Sex Link named Bertha. She has been growing and thriving and seemed the epitome of a healthy young hen. She started laying early this month. Last Tuesday evening, August 5th, I noticed Bertha limping out in the yard. At first I was concerned that she had bumble foot (Just finished treating a Black Indian Runner duck for bumble foot and am currently treating my Jersey Giant for bumble foot on both feet). I picked her up and checked her feet thoroughly. There seemed to be a minor puncture on the webbing between her toes on her right foot. I soaked it in Tricide Neo Powder solution and applied triple antibiotic and set her back out with the other hens for the rest of the evening. She seemed to be better, barely favoring the leg, and no issues at bed time. Wednesday morning Bertha was not bearing any weight at all on her right leg and was hopping around. So, I set up the "hospital" in my office ( a dog crate) and put her in there with bedding, food and water. When my husband got home that evening we checked her feet again and her outer left toe of her right foot was bent backwards. So, we assumed, broken toe. We splinted it and put her back in the crate for some rest and relaxation.
    A week has gone by. We took the splint off yesterday and let her have some time outside in the evening and now I am really concerned. She is not bearing weight on either foot. She is "walking" on her shanks, curling her toes into the ground funny, and trying to balance herself by flapping her wings. She can only move backwards and only a few inches at a time. She is panting a lot, although it is August and in the mid-eighties, so that could be a combination of heat and discomfort. She is eating and drinking a lot. Her comb and wattles are red and healthy looking. Her eyes are clear, bright, and alert. She has continued to lay every day while in confinement, although all the eggs are super soft shelled. No discharge from her beak, nostrils, or eyes or vent. No wheezing, coughing, sneezing, etc. It seems like her legs are paralyzed. I am really confused and concerned.
    I have done some research and it sounds like she has this Spondylolisthesis, also known as kinky back. Which is strange, because of the sudden onset and the fact that she definitely had a broken toe. So, my questions...
    1. Could the strange weight bearing on her shanks just be how she is healing the broken toe?
    2. If this is kinky back, all the research I have done says she needs to be euthanized. I really don't want to cull her if I don't have to. Has anyone successfully raised a chicken with kinky back? Do you have any tips or guidance?
    3. Is she in pain or discomfort? Am I being cruel by wanting to keep her alive?
    4. Could she heal and walk again or is she doomed to life in a dog crate?
    Any advice, guidance, or assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Welcome to BYC! Is it possible to take her to a vet? My Black sex link is the sweetest of my flock!
    It almost sounds like Marek's, but not really at the same time. I'd take her to a vet if possible!

3. IsamFarm

IsamFarm New Egg

Jul 22, 2014
    Maple Valley, WA
    Hi light chick-
    Thanks for your warm welcome and reply.
    At first I was worried about Marek's as well because of the apparent paralysis in the legs, but that is the only symptom of Marek's that she is currently exhibiting, so now I'm not sure what to make of the whole situation! I am currently looking for a local vet that treats birds, but am having a heck of a time finding one! The closest one so far that I have found is 150 miles away. So, will continue to look and hope that others respond to my post with advice and guidance.

4. FinelyFeathered

FinelyFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Northern Ohio
    Hi IsamFarm I have had similar incident with a few of my hens but it was wry neck they started out this way then ended up with their head between their legs twisted. Could she have been injured by a predator? Are there any other injuries that you can see? Hopefully some of the seasoned BYCers will see this and offer some advice!!! Glad you are here this is a great place to be for all the stages of raising chickens!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by