broken toes?? injury or genetic?? PIC ADDED-new info

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Aug 10, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a chick with what appears to be broken toes. The center toe on both feet, one worse than the other. I don't know how this could be an injury. Is there a deficiency somewhere? I will post a pic soon. Any ideas are appreciated.
    Thanks
    Krista

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I have had a couple of chciks like this one I fixed permanately the other seemed to be fixed and them at about 10 weeks her toes curled back but she is now 6 1/2 months and gets around OK in the main flock but when she runs she is definitely gimpy. cut out plastic or cardboard size of foot and use either bandaide or medical tape to hold toes to plastic straight if you search splint you may find some pictures.

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Could also be a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Never hurts to try giving them some extra vitamins. I always get the packages of powder that you mix in with water from the farm store.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    There are 13 chicks all on blue seal medicated chick starter and that is the only one with a problem [​IMG]
    Krista

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    That one chick may have a problem that keeps it from absorbing the needed vitamins or minerals. Maybe it's not competing for the food as it should be, who knows... [​IMG] I've had an odd one out before, gave them all the vitamins in their water for about a week and his toes straightened out.

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    here is a pic, it looks worse than it is cuz s/he wouldn't stand when I took it outside so it is trying to sit. Whe s/he walks the two middle toes curl out, one worse than the other.

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help
    Krista

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    one of my baby chicks has one foot like this i read its called curled toes i tried splinting it but the chick kept ripping it off so i left it he/she gets around fine!

8. BinkysBarn

BinkysBarn Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Alabama
    we just call it crooked foot syndrom lol.
    we have one that has one crooked foot. her name is alexandria. she gets around fine. we had one before also. ive never seen one with BOTH feet crooked.
    here is allie. its her left foot. as you can see, she is scratching around like a normal chicken.
    [​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Did the chick hatch with crooked feet?

If not, it is a vitamin deficiency. Try some A, D and E in the water. Or, just add a couple tablespoons of red cell to a gallon of water.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Where do I get the vitamins? Does blue seal have them? Should I separate this chick? No one is picking on it.
    Thanks!
    Krista

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by