Broken Toes, Panting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chris_p, May 21, 2008.

1. chris_p

chris_p Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    I purchased three Rhode Island Red pullets. One of them broke two of its toe two days ago. We put a small splint on it and separated it from the other two. Today, I checked on it, and it's panting and has puffed out its feathers. She is eating, but I have not seen her drink. She has fresh food and water.

I imagine the panting may be related to fever. Is there an anti-inflammatory I can give her, or should I just sit tight and see what happens?

2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I am pretty sure you can give her baby asprin. I am not 100% sure what the dosage is but I think it is 5 tablet's to a gallon of water. Hopefully someone else will come along and verify that or you could do a search on it. Good luck!!

edited to say: I did a search and the dosage I gave you is right.....just crush the tablet's up first so they will dissolve better.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    When you separated her, did you put her indoors or where it may be too warm for her?

4. chris_p

chris_p Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    I have not changed the temperature. She's in a cage right above her sisters. The temperature is at a steady 75 degrees F.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by