Broken Toes?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beatriceanrufus, Oct 6, 2013.

1. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    I have a barred rock, not sure male or female,named Rufus, who is 14- 15 weeks old. who a few weeks ago i realized that one of the small toes, was crooked and bent and looked broken, and then maybe 1 or 2 weeks ago i realized the big toe, on the same foot, is the same. Did Rufus break his toes? It does not seem to bother her/him, he/she walks just like her sister/brother, who is an easter egger. I can post pictures later if you think that would help, but i can not get pictures now it is raining and cannot get the camera wet... please help, i hope my baby is okay, this is my first batch of chickens ever, and i love them so much.

2. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    Is it still raining pictures would help alot it could be a genetic problem

3. beatriceanrufus

beatriceanrufus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    [​IMG] is there anything i can do to help her/ him you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Chicks and Hens

Chicks and Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2013
    With my chickens
    you can give him/her a splint search bent toes and it will come up with solutions for making and appliing a splint

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crooked toes are usually genetic or a result of riboflavin (Vitamin B2) deficiency. Rufus may be too old to help since toes can be taped and splinted when they are a few days old. However, I would try vitamins--available in feedstores for the water, or PolyVisol baby vitamins 2-3 drops daily by mouth--to see if it makes a difference. Those toes do look more broken than curled, but who knows. Here is a foot and leg link that has a lot of treatments for splinting toes: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by