1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broken Wind Farms in AZ

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BrokenWindFarms, Jan 13, 2015.

1. BrokenWindFarms

BrokenWindFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2015
    Arizona
    Hi ya'll, I'm Kristen and we (Hubs, daughter and my cousin's daughter) just moved to a small farm (just under an acre and 1/2) in East Valley, AZ we named it "Broken Wind Farms". I swear, the name wasn't serious, but then it became the name. After a terrible drive home with the hubs and daughter (uGh they can stink worse than a week old brooder!!) I made the mistake of trying to come up with something to include Windmill... yep, then the sounds and smells... and I said, Maybe it should just be Broken Wind Farms....

Be careful what you say... Now they tell everyone it's the name!

We've been here in AZ for about 18 months and we've acquired a mini farm before we even arrived at the property. 5 cats, 2 cockatiels, 3 ferrets and a lonely little beta fish... oh and now that we're here.. I purchased my first 10 chicks (13 days old today!)

I hope to speak to all of you at some point. I've been lurking on the site for about a year (maybe even more) and I love the advice that ya'll give... It's comforting to know that there are people looking out for each other. We just never see enough of that anymore! I hope one day to be as knowledgable and able to pass along info as confidently, if nothing else direct people here!

Last but not least.... Did anyone start hearing "cheep" noises all night long when you brought your first flock home (no matter how many that may be?? I swear, I hear those little girls and they are clear across the house in a guest room, but I hear 'em calling for me in the middle of the night, and yes, I heed the call each and every time.... surely I'll grow out of THAT... right? :D

-Kristen

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Welcome. Ask away. Nice name [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! What a great introduction from you about your farm and all your animals, have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Here's a section from the learning centre that you should find usefull https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Chicks can be attention seekers and they like the human contact far more than non chicken people give them credit for!! I'm sure you will grow out of it (well maybe)

Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help. Enjoy BYC :frow

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]

5. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with all your animals!

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Definitely on the night time cheeping!! They are scared and lonely without their momma snuggling them in and will call to you during the night. This usually stops after a few days when they learn they are safe at night.

Enjoy your new babies and we do welcome you to our flock!

9. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by