Broken Wing and Deep Wound on chest

Chickmomma77

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2019
my dog got ahold of one of our 10 month old chickens this morning. We thought she didn’t make it, and when my husband went back to get her she was up and hobbling around. She is alert and responsive. About 15min after the accident she ate some of their cracked corn. Her wing is broken for sure, the bone is exposed. I cleaned the area(wing and neck) with hydrogen peroxide once and then cleaned debris from areas and rinsed with a lot of sterile saline to make sure it was cleaned as good as possible. I put ointment I had from when I worked in the vet clinic that is prescription strength on it and wrapped her wing to her body like it would normally sit if it wasn’t broken. And I put a piece of gauze over her chest wound.
MY BIGGEST QUESTION IS: how will her wing heal if I am unable to place her bones back together!?!? HELP!!

my dog got ahold of one of our 10 month old chickens this morning. We thought she didn’t make it, and when my husband went back to get her she was up and hobbling around. She is alert and responsive. About 15min after the accident she ate some of their cracked corn. Her wing is broken for sure, the bone is exposed. I cleaned the area(wing and neck) with hydrogen peroxide once and then cleaned debris from areas and rinsed with a lot of sterile saline to make sure it was cleaned as good as possible. I put ointment I had from when I worked in the vet clinic that is prescription strength on it and wrapped her wing to her body like it would normally sit if it wasn’t broken. And I put a piece of gauze over her chest wound.
MY BIGGEST QUESTION IS: how will her wing heal if I am unable to place her bones back together!?!? HELP!!

I would never try to save a bird like this, BUT if you are going to try, and I say this without being a vet or seeing the wing,,,,

I would be tempt to remove the wing at the break cauterize and bandage.
It would minimize the chance of infection and be easier to keep clean. Birds have hollow bones setting a crushed/shattered bone would be a lot of work and luck to get right I think.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

You might need a dog trainer too..

You will definitely need to get her veterinary help if she is to survive; wrap her in a warm towel, flush the wound with water, and give her painkillers till the vet arrives; make sure she does not move around too much or she could injure herself even more. Good luck with her recovery!

You will definitely need to get her veterinary help if she is to survive; wrap her in a warm towel, flush the wound with water, and give her painkillers till the vet arrives; make sure she does not move around too much or she could injure herself even more. Good luck with her recovery!

@Chickmomma77 I answered assuming you did not want to go to a vet....
I never bring birds to the Vet. But that is my choice for my birds as they are just livestock/semi-pets to me.

This may help you, it's got good information on treating and splinting all kinds of fractures. A vet would be best with this kind of injury, but if that is not an option then this will help. You will need to put her on an antibiotic since it's an open fracture. Sometimes depending on the damage, amputation is the best option, so that's why a vet assessment would most likely be best to determine if it's heal-able as is, or not. Compound fracture care is on page 5, exam of wing fracture, wing splinting and wrapping starts on page 11.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

My chicken had a broken wing that healed on its own, (she did have antibiotics)... Its only a little crooked when she stretches, other than that it healed fine! Wishing her a speedy recovery!

My chicken had a broken wing that healed on its own, (she did have antibiotics)... Its only a little crooked when she stretches, other than that it healed fine! Wishing her a speedy recovery!

Thank you so much!!
My fear is how will it heal if I can’t get the bones back together? I never thought I could love a dang chicken so much!

This may help you, it's got good information on treating and splinting all kinds of fractures. A vet would be best with this kind of injury, but if that is not an option then this will help. You will need to put her on an antibiotic since it's an open fracture. Sometimes depending on the damage, amputation is the best option, so that's why a vet assessment would most likely be best to determine if it's heal-able as is, or not. Compound fracture care is on page 5, exam of wing fracture, wing splinting and wrapping starts on page 11.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

I really appreciate this! It helps make me feel better being able to read things! I just wish I knew how the wing is going to heal without me being able to place her bones back together. Cause when she broke her wing it is broken in a place that I can’t seem to get the bones aligned

Thank you so much!!

Back
Top Bottom